Saturday, February 3, 2007

Obedience

There's that word again, obedience. As a young Christian I thought obedience meant the Ten Commandments. Then I realized, no one can live the Ten Commandments. They were given to lead us to Christ, our only hope. Then I decided that obedience meant to keep on the straight and narrow as much as possible. That led to daily confession and repentance which depressed me. Like I can't even get through one day without failing (a product of pride). I've even known a few Christians that threw in the towel on Christianity and left the faith just because of a failure to obey the rules.

Then I discovered Grace Walk by Steve McVey and the writings of Bob George just to name a few of the grace teachers. They taught about a walk of faith not works. What freedom to know God is not irritated with me or that I am never disqualified because I fail so much.

Obedience and Trust are synonymous. Obedience to the gospel is to repent and ask Christ into your life. Obedience is trust, faith in Christ not works (though works follow). It is doing the right thing regardless because we trust His judgment and believe He knows best.

After a few years, we do begin to understand that it is just plain stupid to not do the right thing because the right thing is not as necessary for the other person as it is for us. I mean when you do what you want, experience everything your way (as a Christian) you will end up in a lot of pain. Even as a non-Christian you will end up with a lot of pain. When it is all said and done we all eventually come to the conclusion that God knows what He is doing and we will obey Him. We all end up saying "God I want to think, act, say and live your way." We repent, turn our eyes on him and say here I am help me live the way you want.

God is God and He will have it His way in the end for every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Prov 2:20-27 Phil1:6

No comments: