Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Angel

Proverbs 8:33-36

People often ask me, "how do you know when God is speaking to you?" There are so many ways. In fact, I have devoted one entire lesson in a workbook I wrote called Teach me, Lord
to 'His Voice'. But for today let me relate God's voice to a recent experience with a delightful pup called Angel.


God always speaks to us through the Scriptures; but it never ceases to amaze me how often the world around us leads our hearts to those scriptures. A water fall, for example, reveals His majesty, a bird nestled in a nest over that waterfall reveals what trust looks like and Angel reveals another lesson on listening to God.

We require Angel know heal, sit, lay down, stay and wait. She needs to find the dog door, be polite in the kennel and side step little one's on the floor. She's a Boxer and to my surprise a very find breed for family protection and enjoyment. She belongs to my younger daughter but spends time with me often. So naturally, maintaining her lessons pass my way.

You see, Angel can also be the most powerful, destructive dog I've ever known, if she remains confused about her job; and her job is to do what I tell her to do. Once I started giving commands and remained consistent she responded beautifully. At first I just required she follow me around the house, sit or lay down where I wanted and stay. But Angel turned out to be more capable. A story I will relate at a later date for sure.

Angel's necessary response to me resembles our necessary response to Christ. She needed to trust, respect and listen. Things we instilled in her through a gentle hand, no violence allowed.
Something God also instills in us with a gentle hand called grace.
Trust came when she believed we'd care, provide and keep her secure.
Respect came when we remained consistent and required her best.
Listening came because her life has purpose.

I remember the first time she looked, waited and listened for my instruction as if my every word gave her life. Nothing came between us in that moment. She connected and obeyed. A lesson we all need to learn.

"Lord, help me to escape destructive behavior, to give you my full attention and to listen, for Your every word is life to me."

No comments: