Monday, August 11, 2008

Divine Escape

2 Timothy 3:11


I teased you a little with the title. There is no escape from life except through the will of God. And since He is an Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omnipotent being, He ultimately knows what is best in all situations. However, if you have been like me, you do agree that we all look for an escape because we do not want to suffer. As children we were at the mercy of adults. If they were principled, mature, unselfish people, we fared well, if not we were abused. I would say there is not one person who reads this that has not had some form of abuse during childhood. As adults, we live out our childhood experience by using the same coping devices we learned during that time to avoid pain and suffering. Now this is the good news. When Jesus the Christ comes into our lives a healing process begins and we are eventually delivered. It does not happen all at once in most cases but the deliverance from our past experiences does take place.

As I read this verse, I become even more convinced deliverance, the only escape, is found in trusting God THROUGH it all. I do agree that He often protects us and I have no doubt that every evil that could have taken place did not. But, for the most part I would conclude that we all experience trouble, suffering and pain in this life in one form or another. There is a song from the 70's or was it the 80's called Through it all. One of the phrases says....If I had never known a struggle, I would not have learned I could trust Him. That I believe is the answer.

Since the goal is to be conformed to His image and that takes place when we surrender and trust Him in everything, then I would dare to say we do not escape life. The escape and deliverance from all our struggles and troubles, as the verse talks about, is an escape through it all once we are on the other side of it all. This is the Divine Escape.

No comments: